- Dog friendly and no additional charges
- Dark skies and silent nights
- Mountain e-bikes to hire from the farm
- BBQ Hut available
Set like a jewel in the beautiful Brecon Beacons, this tiny house is inspired by a traditional shepherd hut and offers super luxurious accommodation. Both cosy and private it’s a place to snuggle down and get away from it all.
It is cosy, light, airy and free of draughts. It has a clean, fresh comfortable feel and a traditional log burner. If the weather is good it is an ideal location for outdoor pursuits. If the weather is poor, stay inside and watch films, listen to music or play games.
Gilfach translates from the Welsh as ‘nook’ or ‘hideaway’. This perfectly describes the farm, tucked away in a steep sided valley yet only 5mins drive from the A40. The farm dates back four hundred years, part of the original stone barn has been converted into the Barn Loft. Just north of the Brecon Beacons national park and nestling in the folds of the hills. The loft is beautifully decorated and everything you need to enjoy tranquillity and rest.
The Oak Hut benefits from all modern comforts to make it a warm and cosy place to snuggle into whatever the weather. There is a microwave, kettle, toaster, single ring induction hob and a small fridge. There is a traditional Belfast sink. There is no conventional oven. A full set of basic kitchen equipment is provided.
- There is a flap down table and two folding chairs.
- There is a generously sized shower with plenty of hot water.
- The double bed has a super warm wool duvet (Baavet) and organic cotton cover.
- There is underfloor heating – however when it is very cold you will need to light the log burner – I provide the logs!
Gilfach is a traditional Welsh hill farm. There are sixty acres of pasture, ancient woodland, larch plantation and rough bracken and wetland meadows. It is home five British White cows and five horses. Guests are welcome to explore the farm and beyond along the rights of way leading from Gilfach’s land. There are wonderful views of Pen-y-Fan from the top of the farm and a stream flowing along the lower border, there is a mass flora and fauna to see with red kites and buzzards circling up and down the valley. The area’s Dark Sky status and the lack of light pollution makes Gilfach ideal for great stargazing.
The farm itself is open to you to go for walks. There is a wonderful view of Pen-y-Fan from the top of the farm and plenty of wildlife to see with red kites and buzzards constantly circling up and down the valley. There are also woodlands – ancient, deciduous and coniferous and a stream flowing along the lower border of the farm all of which you are welcome to explore.
The Oak Hut stands apart from the farm buildings. You have your own access and come and go as you please. The hut is an area of field fenced off from farm animals. The hut is accessed via a 70m path from the parking area.
Other things to note
- Gilfach is very pet-friendly and well-behaved dogs are welcome to stay but please do not allow on the bed!
- Access to the farm is along an un-surfaced. Please negotiate the track with care.
- There is a laundry in the barn that guests are welcome to use. The barn can also be used for drying and storage of bikes etc.
- Gilfach can’t offer horse riding, but there are three local riding centres.
- There is a Finnish Grill House (BBQ Hut) in the garden. Guests can reserve it for evenings or lunchtimes and can then enjoy a BBQ even if it is less than perfect weather.
- Latest technology, high quality mountain e-bikes are available for hire from Gilfach. Please ask for more information.
To make a reservation
£79 per night (Friday and Saturday £85). £10 cleaning charge.