Gilfach is a family farm and home to Hugh, his daughter and 5 year old grandson. They have a Chocolate Labrador, Oscar, a Cocker Spaniel, Poppy and Fluffy the cat.
Gilfach is a traditional Welsh hill farm. There are sixty acres of pasture, ancient woodland, larch plantation, rough bracken and both upland and wetland meadows. It is lightly farmed and is currently home to five horses, four miniature donkeys, two cows and some poultry.
Guests are welcome to explore the farm and beyond along the rights of way leading from Gilfach’s land. There are wonderful views of Pen-y-Fan from the top of the farm (follow the waymarked “Farm Walk”) and a stream flowing along the lower border, there is a mass flora and fauna to see with red kites and buzzards circling up and down the valley.
The area’s Dark Sky status and the lack of light pollution makes Gilfach ideal for great stargazing.
Gilfach is on the northern edge of the Brecon Beacons National Park. This is a wild and dramatic landscape with steeped with fascinating geology and history. There are hills to climb, ridges to stride along and lakes to swim in. Castles to explore, beautiful gardens to visit, and rivers for canoeing and fishing. There are the show caves at Dan Yr Ogof and the famous waterfalls at Ysradfellte. There is a mountain railway and industrial heritage still visible in the landscape and preserved in the Big Pit Coal Museum at Blaenavon. Easily within reach for a day trip, you can enjoy the world-renowned beeches of the Gower peninsula or even head to Pendine Sands (famous for land speed records) and further afield to Tendby and Pembroke.
The farm is twenty mins drive from Brecon where there is high street shopping, a cathedral and museums and leisure centre. In the opposite direction it is only slightly further to Llandovery – or for the nearest city it’s a fifty min drive to Swansea. The villages of Sennybridge, Defynnog and Trecastle are all just a few minutes from the farm.
In recent years the farm has diversified to provide five beautiful, self-contained accommodations situated around and near the farm yard. All are quite different and cater to different numbers;
- Barn Cottage – sleeps four, one double bed & one twin room (can sleep six on request – sofa bed)
- Barn Loft – sleeps two, king size bed
- Log Cabin – sleeps four, one double bed & one bunk bed
- Shepherds Hut – sleeps two
- Bell Tent – sleeps two (can add a folding single bed for a child on request)
All of the accommodations at Gilfach is self-catering. The nearest supermarkets are in Brecon. There is a Morrisons, Co-op and Aldi. Brecon is about 20-25mins drive from Gilfach.
Waitrose, Tesco and Asda will make grocery deliveries to the farm. Guest are asked to time deliveries for when they will be here or inform us beforehand so we can expect the delivery and put it in your accommodation. Please note – we will not unpack your delivery.
There is a convenience store at the Glanusk Services in Sennybridge. Just 5 mins drive from the farm.
Dogs (and other animals!) are all very welcome in any of the accommodations at Gilfach
Facilities available for your four legged companions;
- There is a wash stand outside the horse barn where guests can wash down their dog(s) after a muddy walk
- Dog towels are available in the main barn next to the boot racks
- Guests and their dog(s) are welcome to explore the farm (just be mindful of the livestock)
- There is a stream at the bottom of the farm that dogs particularly like playing in!
In the main garden there is a beautiful BBQ Hut of which guests are welcome to use. With great views of the garden and down the valley, it is a lovely spot to cook up a barbie, or anything else for that matter. Available every day, any time of the year, whatever the weather – even in winter it soon warms up inside and we have installed lighting too for when the nights start drawing in.
- Free to use – if guests would like to use the BBQ hut please tell Hugh so that it can be reserved (Please understand that only one guest booking can be made per day so that there is time to clean between use)
- Inside the BBQ Hut guests are supplied with BBQ utensils and some plates, cups and cutlery.
- We suggest guests bring their own charcoal for the BBQ however a bucket of charcoal can be purchased on the farm if needed (£5)
The Shoemakers Arms, Pentrebach, LD3 8UB
The Tanners Arms Inn, Defynnog, LD3 8SF
Abercamlais Arms, Sennybridge, LD3 8PH
The Usk & Railway Inn, Sennybridge, LD3 8RS
White House Country Inn, Sennybridge, LD3 8RP
Castle Coaching Inn, Trecastle, LD3 8UH
There is a very good Fish and Chip shop in Sennybridge. Open Tuesday to Saturday, you can call them on 07704 008623. They won’t deliver, but you can place your order over the phone.
There are also all the usual take aways in Brecon and Llandovery.
Special Occasion Restaurants
If you would like to go somewhere extra special for a fine dining or award winning experience we suggest the following establishments. They are a bit further to drive but we think it’s worth it! As these are celebrated establishments it is essential to book in advance.
Llangoed Hall Hotel, Llyswen, Brecon, LD3 0YP
Felin Fach Griffin, Felin Fach, Brecon, LD3 0UB
Gliffaes Hotel, Crickhowell, Powys, NP8 1RH